Saturday, April 02, 2011

Day Two in Chickville

We still have six baby chicks.

The kewl thing about chicks is that no matter how wound-up you are when you get home from work, they're reliably themselves.  They live their lives under a warm red light eating, pooping, and sleeping.  Oh, and peeping, of course.  They peep in a similar fashion to sparrows, a very sweet, uplifting sound that relaxes me unless they're peeping in my bedroom at 2am, but we're not raising them in the master bedroom this year.  I do vaguely remember how that peep cut through layers of blankets and pillows like well-aimed bullets.  In a sweet, uplifting way, of course.

I'm still concerned about their health, but the fact that they made it through the night and they're all active is encouraging.  They're also all eating.  And eating.  And eating.  I think they're in a race to see who doubles their weight first.

I'll post pics soon--possibly tomorrow.  This may be as cute as they get, though you never know.  They may turn out to be very beautiful birds despite the rather plain-looking pictures I found on the web of their adult forms.

1 comment:

The Moody Minstrel said...

I always did like cute chicks! ;-)

Seriously, though...having once been a neighbor to people who raised chickens, I can remember how much fun chicks can be. I wouldn't want them in my bedroom, however...