Monday, June 08, 2009

Back in the Chair Again


After a busy weekend, I plan on continuing my Ireland series here at Jestablog.  I'll also be making a DVD of our travels, plus I have OryCon things to do, so it'll be a busy Monday too.  

Alas, I'm 13 minutes into Monday, and facing the fact that I need to get a good night's sleep before I can start my day.  

Don't want to!  pout  Want to stay up all night and work.

Even though I'm eager to blog and get my projects done so I can have free and clear time to write, I can't let my sleep schedule get thrown off.  The dangers are that I'll either need naps or oversleep, or I'll go short on sleep and be so mushy in the head I'll write poorly or simply waste the day vegging, wondering why I'm so low energy.  It of course doesn't take rocket science to figure out why I'd be low energy, but mushy brains are slow that way.  Even if I did figure it out, what could I do?

As much as sleep sometimes feels like a waste of time, I do get some great story ideas from my dreams.  Besides, I've noticed that I write more and more slowly the more tired I am.  If I sleep well and wake up feeling rested and excited about the day, I write quickly and often more clearly.  

I can write any time of day.  I know there are folks that can't.  They have trouble waking up in the morning, or they feel too drained in the evening, or too sleepy after lunch ... I think in some ways if I had restrictions on when I could write, it might be easier to be consistent.  The more consistent I am about what time I sit down and write, the easier it is to make into a habit.  On the other hand, being able to write pretty much any time in any state means that it's easier to squeeze in some writing at oddball times, even when I'm on vacation or at a convention when the idea of keeping some sort of schedule or planning writing times is an exercise in frustration.  So, as always, being one kind of writer isn't an excuse not to write.  You just gotta, and the more often you write in accordance with what kind of writer you are, the more productive you'll be.  Just an observation.  And now, time to settle in for the night.  See y'all in the morning.

No comments: