Monday, October 23, 2006

It's For Science

[Once again my other blog at Nanopubye.org is down. ]

I love my husband.

Occasionally he asks me "why are people nervous around me?" or "why is admin so uncomfortable with me?" After all, he is incredibly dependable, honest, extremely hard-working. He's loved by his coworkers. He's almost always the first to arrive on the scene when there's a call for back up, even if he's at the opposite end of the extensive complex where he works. He keeps the work environment as safe as possible. He has such a way with mentally disturbed people, that he's routinely called to handle someone, because if anyone else tried to deal with that person, chances are there would be a big fight, and injuries.

The other day he told me that one of the road officers confided in him during one of their training sessions. He let Rory know that if he ever 'went bad' they were just going to shoot him on sight.

So this morning he asked me if, after he retires, he ought to spend about ten years being a bad guy. "It would be for science," he said, batting his eyes at me. "I'd be like the Joker, only more subtle. It would be funny."

He and I had discovered over our many years together, the Universe primarily exists to be funny. He'd be helping it out.

He fails to point out that it would be bad guys who would have things happen to them, not innocents, which makes him more like Batman, only creepier. Batman and Joker's love child? But that would be wrong. Sort of.

Anyway, he still wonders why he makes people nervous.

I sure do love him.

By the way, I forbid him to go bad. He has to be a good guy until the end. Then he can be bad for maybe a little bit, just locally before he heads off into realms unknown.

This is my primary purpose in the Universe; to forbid badness in the Rory. It's a lonely job, but someone has to do it.

3 comments:

Kai Jones said...

I could see and hear him saying that. How funny!

People are afraid of other people who have power. He has power. He has determination, and he is truly good. They don't know how to predict the behavior of a person like that...they may never have been around one before, because people like that are rare.

Being unpredictable is the scariest thing there is.

The Moody Minstrel said...

He makes people nervous because there's just a natural intensity about him. Anyone with any sensitivity could probably tell you that he gives off a lot of energy. It's like a great, big seething mass around hime, and it's really quite extraordinary. Depending on how he relates to you, that can either be very warm energy (which is why my daughter, who tended to shy away from people, took to him like a shot) or a clear warning that he's not someone to mess with.

Heck, even I feel nervous around him, and I regard him almost like a brother. I guess that's just my unconscious, defensive instincts coming into play (maybe a guy thing a la "defending one's own fortress" or something like that). Anyway, I most definitely like for us to be on the same side. If he decides to become a bad guy, even for science, I'm staying out of town.

Kami said...

I just can't get past the cuteness. A friend of mine showed a photograph of him shortly before we met, baiting me. "Isn't he cute?" she asked.

"He looks arrogant," I told her. "But oh yeah, he's totally gorgeous."

I was so doomed. :-)