Wednesday, March 04, 2009

My Hum Hum Day (Ho is ruined for me)

I got some critiquing, email responding and a bunch of laundry done.  I really wanted to go outside for a long walk, but the weather was iffy (lots of unpredictable downpours interspersed with some pretty sunshine and soft sprinkles that didn't last long) so I opted for indoorsy stuff.  I'm impatient for daffodils.

Two of our mousetraps disappeared.  I'm still trying to figure that out.  Rats?  Raccoons?  Really Big Mice (TM)?  I think I'm going to have to get new mousetraps and wire them to something sturdy.  They're not that expensive, but you know, it's the principle of the situation.  I may have to get a rat trap just in case there is something big.  There's something that sounds bigger than a mouse above my office right now.  Noises on a drum-like surface can be deceiving, so I'm not going to leap off of any cliffs of conclusion, but still.  Between the disappearing traps and the loud bangs and scuttles, I'm leaning toward the idea that we may in fact have at least one rat living among us.

I'll have to close the garage, which I don't like to do because it may trap bats inside.  I just worry that a cat may get a paw caught in a rat trap.  Maybe there's a covered trap that will keep everyone safe except the intended targets.  All our cats are indoors enough that it's highly unlikely one of them would get hurt, but we do have feral cats around.  I haven't seen False or Patches around, but that doesn't mean they're not still with us, hiding out in the barn or whatever.

I hope I can go for a walk tomorrow.  I've got that penned-in feeling.  Standing on the deck for a few minutes is great, but not the same as roaming around the garden or walking up the road.  I'm long overdue for a classic constitutional.

1 comment:

Kai Jones said...

I don't usually think "ho hum day" but "humdrum day."