Monday, October 01, 2012

My Silver Lining Day


There's so much sun I hardly know what to do with myself.  Should I bask?  Play?  Write while sitting or standing on the deck?  Cut flowers for the table?

I can't garden.  Well, okay, I can, but it's depressing.  The deer officially have eaten everything.  They tore through the netting over my surviving tomatoes and eaten both the fruit and the vines. 

Gone.

Pumpkins, gone.  Yes, they ate pumpkin leaves, and zucchini leaves and stalks and fruit, everything. 

Okay, not everything.  Weirdly they've left the grapes pretty much alone, and to my surprise, my marionberries weren't reduced to stumps.

They've eaten so many tomato leaves and vines their flesh must be toxic. 

So, my next project is a fence.  I've got the bones of it up, but I can't do anything with my veggies this year or any other until I've got this fence up.  Even if I were to succumb to my disgust and anger and decide venison is on the menu tonight, that won't solve my overall problem.  I need to protect the garden.

The long growing season this year, stretching into October, is almost unprecedented.  Everyone has tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, everything coming out of their ears.  Except me.  I'm like Charlie Brown at Halloween, only I didn't even get a rock.

But, I have lots of beautiful sunflowers!

I guess there's always a silver lining, at least when you have clouds.  Which we don't.  But today there's a silver lining anyway.  It's a beautiful, beautiful day.










No comments: