Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Miscellaneous Day

Light rain off and on kept me inside most of the day, though the sprinkles didn't keep me from doing a bit of weeding and wandering outside. The goldfinches alternated between the feeder and flitting among the mix of tall, spiny dandelions, evening primroses and other miscellaneous weeds to get at the fluffy seeds. Watching them eat their natural food was something else. They land on the main, upright stalks, sometimes forcing the weed to bend way over, and grab at whatever seed bunches are in reach. And the really, really amazing part--those bright, bright yellow birds that I thought stood out more baldly than chalk on a blackboard actually blended in with the primroses. They're the exact same color. If they didn't move, I couldn't see them.

A lot of writing happened today too, and cleaning. Ugh, the cleaning--taking out the shelves from the refrigerator, disassembling them, cleaning the glass and frames separately and then reassembling and putting them all back in after scrubbing out the walls. I never did get to the door, or the freezer. Tomorrow after work, maybe. I'd had enough of the old food, dried hamburger blood, random drops of dried cream that I missed from a cream spill cleanup a couple of months ago, jars of condiments we'd never get to before they expired if they weren't already expired, on and on. Afterward, I spent a pleasant hour (read much sarcasm here) scrubbing out the catboxes and filling them with fresh litter, because that has to be done now and then.

The good part is that a lot got accomplished despite picking away at random at things that I happened to get annoyed enough at to do. Normally if I don't have much of a plan, then nothing gets finished and there's a mess of half done things everywhere.

Hmm. I wonder if I can get some painting in at the eleventh hour. Well, the tenth hour, actually. It would nicely top off a fine, miscellaneous day.

1 comment:

C. Jane Reid said...

Ha! It must have been odd cleaning time this week. I spent most of Monday cleaning out closets and rearranging shelves and the odd nook and cranny. And today I'll be cleaning out the ice box and reorganizing all the supplies and then catching up on my filing. And then maybe tackle some more of the basement.

And writing. I really need to get cracking on Comet-Crossed.

Cheers!