Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Staying Cool

It's another hot hot day here in SW Washington. The thermostat says 100 degrees on the button. The soaker hoses are so fantastic, I'll let them sing their own praises.

[sounds of seeping]

It's like the Sound of Silence, only better. Well, the plants think so, anyway. I'm not completely free of hand watering, not even close, but at least I can water most of the garden (the hoses all run through shade so there isn't too much loss due to evaporation) while I'm inside doing Other Things. Today, that means sewing curtains for our side windows, which let the sun in for about an hour in the late afternoon. Not too bad, all things told, but today it annoyed me, and I have all this fabric just laying around ...

Of course we've hit 5:30 pm, which is nap time. My sleepy brain goes round and round and doesn't get anywhere. The only landmark is a side alley that when my brain looks down it, we see a nice, comfy bed in the dark. Mmmmm. Around we go again, thinking about this chore and that, and there's that side alley with the bed again. I think there might be more than one identical side alley, as often as I think about it.

But, I must not succumb. If I do, I'll continue my badness pattern of staying up until one or two a.m. writing on Masks. That is, it's good to write, but bad to write late. Bad Kami, bad. Good Kami, good! Bad Kami, very bad. Why is it bad? Because early in the morning, it's cool enough to work outside, and if I stay up, I'll stay in bed until at least 8am if not later.

When it cools off tonight (and it will cool off, won't it?) I'll quick connect the hand watering wand and go play in the garden. So far, no casualties that I've found among the plants, even the pot-confined ones. I'll have to post a pic of the wild garden soon, assuming photobucket works for me still. They're in full bloom, and there are some blossoms that I've never seen before (and can't identify.) It makes walking around the garden a small letter a adventure, looking for and spotting things that have come up from seed that I've forgotten or never known because it was part of a misc. mix. Alas, still just the one tiger swallowtail butterfly. But it sure is pretty, especially when it sits on the huge purple butterfly bush plumes.

Note to self: water the butterfly bushes.

No comments: