Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Starling

Yes, it's a starling.  But as much as I don't care for them, being a non-native nuisance bird that causes problems for native birds, this bird and starlings from around the world are among the most beautiful birds in the world.  I think part of the reason that I'm immune to a starling's good looks is because I was taught from an early age that they're a dirty, nasty pest.  But who could not love faces like these:


Maybe European starlings are dirty, nasty pests, and I don't like the fact that we'll probably never see any bluebirds around here because of them, but you know, I have to admit, they are rather pretty.

Right now we have one that visits daily.  I doubt that will remain the case.  Down the hill from us a barn has a plague of them, where once nested sparrows only a few short years ago.

No comments: