Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Aftermath

I listened to the radio on the way home from the Fireside today.  You know, people can be awful.  I found it interesting that all the conservatives could come up with was an accusation of racism for yellow/mellow white/do what's right.  What the heck?  Sometimes I'm entertained by some of the conservative radio talk shows, but today I was sickened.  I couldn't listen to it.  I mean, seriously, couldn't they hear the laughter in the crowd?  Hear and see the smile behind the words?  The joy?  The release of pain?  Are Asians all across America going to be offended, really?  Am I offended by having white being rhymed with doing what's right?  Heck no!  I'm proud that a white majority nation helped vote President Barack Obama into office.  To see that rhyme as anything other than white Americans voting the right man into office despite years of racial prejudice is really reaching.  Get over yourselves, poopyheaded conservative radio people.  

And so I switched to a 'progressive' radio show.  I expected there to be good will, cheer, and hope.  Nope!  Instead I found that just couldn't let Bush go.  They had to see him face charges or America couldn't move forward (in their opinion.)  Um, maybe I'm just not getting it, but wouldn't dragging Bush Jr. tie up all kinds of time, resources, and political energy for ... what great positive goal?  Assuming he's even convicted of ... um ... whatever they want to charge him with, what will that do?  It was awful.  It was Bush this, and Bush that, Bush blah blah blah--as if this beautiful, wonderful day was all about Bush.  One guy wrote an email proudly declaring how he had Bush's helicopter for his computer wallpaper because it made him smile.  Um, guys, there's this guy named Barack Obama, and something special happened today involving him.  Maybe you should look into that and talk about that.  Oh, wait, you don't want to do that, do you, because selling hate and revenge buys you more radio time.  You'd rather put a hateful image on your wallpaper, than the portrait of our first black American president taking the oath of office.  Fine.  Be a poopyhead.

So I switched to music.  Ahhh, music.  I smiled, and sighed, and thought tomorrow at 7am Eastern time stuff is going to start to happen.  I hope it's good stuff.  It'll be wonderful to find out.  Yes, things can always get worse, but maybe, just maybe, things will get better.  Despite, rather than because of, the negative poopyheads.

Rock on, President Obama.  Rock on.  With that thought, I'll say good night with some classic Boston:

Dont look back
A new day is breakin
Its been too long since I felt this way
I dont mind where I get taken
The road is callin
Today is the day

I can see
It took so long to realize
Im much too strong
Not to comprimise
Now I see what I am is holding me down
Ill turn it around

I finally see the dawn arrivin
I see beyond the road Im drivin
Far away and left behind

Its a new horizon and Im awakin now
Oh I see myself in a brand new way
The sun is shinin
The clouds are breakin
canse I cant lose now, theres no game to play

I can tell
Theres no more time left to criticize
Ive seen what I could not recognize
Everthing in my life was leading me on
But I can be strong

I finally see the dawn arrivin
I see beyond the road Im drivin
Far away and left behind

(scholz)



3 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

I remember once putting that Boston album on when I was having a little birthday get-together at my house in our OSU days, and your sister wrinkled her nose and said, "Ewww! Put that Oingo Boingo album back on!"

Ah, memories...

There are a lot of ghosts floating around this changing of the White House guard, Kami. And there's going to be a lot more annoying chatter before things move on, too.

Kami said...

I know, but a girl can have dreams, can't she?

Kai Jones said...

The reason the progressives can't let go is that they've spent the last 8 years clinging to their resentment of and hatred for former president Bush. (After all, they couldn't cling to guns and religion--that's for the flyover people.) How will they reconstruct their identities without Bush to kick around?

They were sore losers, and they are unlikely to be gracious winners.