Monday, February 22, 2010

Cowgirl Up


I don' wanna work I wanna lay on the beach w/my handsome young cat Wiz-dom.

Crazy work day today. I finished a couple of stories and sent out a bunch that had come back. That added up to seven (I think) submissions that went in the mail today. One included a rejection my DH found in the mailbox just as we left the house to go to the PO.

Keeping stuff in the mail can be tough for me sometimes. I'm a writer, not a mailer! When I get a rejection, the temptation is to deal with marketing later, say, during the next Ice Age. Or maybe on the night of the next blue moon.

Realistically, though, it's part of my job. It must be done. (Note the passive voice in the previous sentence that neglects to include someone doing the 'it'.)

I suspect every job has some aspect that's a real chore. Some artists groan at having to stretch canvas or watercolor paper, while others loathe the finish work on animal fur. Some writers despise grinding through a first draft, while others put off the review/revision or editing process. Some secretaries hate answering phones while others will tidy endlessly in the hopes of putting off filing or going to the office supply store to restock their work group's materials. And I bet it's a real pain for some of those CEOs to have to bend over to place their golf ball. Seriously, that's gotta be rough!

Anyway, the answer is, if you can't afford to hire someone to do your icky stuff for you, then you gotta cowgirl up and just do it.

I'm feeling all puffed up with cowgirl virtue now.

Stories out: 23
Currently reading: Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (tee-hee-ing-ly recommended)

No comments: