Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday Updates

Some wild weather lately. We had another extremely windy day, so I'm glad I didn't get the parts for my wind-busted greenhouse yet. It would have just gotten busted up again.

I'm working through House of Goats again, this time adding things I thought of belatedly and wanted to insert in, and looking specifically for emotional highs and lows that I missed the first go-through. This is a bit of a new process for me. I usually get in almost everything I want on the first go-through. I'm liking it a lot. When I mentioned this to a group of writers I know from a class, another one piped up with the fact that she writes in a similar way. Since she's a published author and I rather admire her writing, I felt better about doing it this way.

Even if no one else wrote this way, though, I'd still do it. I write every book in a slightly different way. Part of that is due to the fact that I'm learning to be a better writer, but I think a great deal of it has to do with the fact that every book is different. Some are very different. In fact, I'd be very surprised if I wrote a hard SF book exactly the same way that I'd write something literary.

In other news, Veronica will be going to the vet to get spayed at the end of the week. Wish her luck! It's a very common surgery and I trust our vets, but surgery is surgery and because she's a wee little girl it will be an internal surgery rather than a boy's easier snip snip sort. I'll try not to pass my anxiety on to her as we near the day, but I'm already worrying.

Stories out: 29
Currently working on: House of Goats (novel)
Short stories written last week: 1

No comments: