Monday, June 18, 2007

Must ... finish ... projects ... Plus, Andrea gets shoes

I'm typing with my new, wonderful, deep purple fingerless gloves that a friend knitted for me. It's cold in the office, where yesterday's weather likes to linger, and they're perfectly warming especially across my wrists where I often suffer pain from carpal tunnel syndrome.

Rory reminded me that I'm neglecting my poor office. I've tiled the minimum space and then I abandoned the finishing work for "later." You all know about later, that mythical future time when there will be peace on Earth and no one will have to earn a living, when houses will paint themselves and my favorite peony will be worshipped as a goddess in certain circles.

Or maybe your later is different.

Anyway, it's past time to finish this puppy, er, office, off. I have to finish tiling first, tiling which I enjoy once I've got all my duckies in a row and put on some music. It takes about an hour to lay five tiles, not counting cutting time, and I've gotten to a stage where just about every tile will need to be cut. I think I've got six, maybe seven uncut tiles to go.

But this is all blathering, thinking about work that needs to be done. At the root of all this is a desire to finish. I want to finish Masks. I want to finish the office, and the porch project, and the vegetable garden (although finishing anything in a gardening sense is even more mythical than later.) There's too much juggling and it's time to set some of the pieces down.

This is probably all brought on by the work schedule. The day after tomorrow, I'm off. I'm free I'm free I'm free! Yee! Just for a day, but that's enough compared to, well, no day. I'd like to finish something that day.

In other news, my daughter Andrea and I went shoe shopping today. I got a pair of shoes for work that are, ahem, somewhat un-work like but I don't think anyone will look close enough to notice. They enclose the toe and the heel, a requirement. They are not sneakers. Voila! Perfect. (Don't mind the skull and crossbones print all over them--it just looks like a geometric design from a distance and who looks at my feet anyway? So there!) Andrea picked up her first set of heels for her 8th grade end of year celebration. I can get all teary-eyed at how my little girl is growing up and choosing (she actually planned on borrowing my heels--which I needed for work and that's how we decided we both needed at least one pair of 'other' shoes) to wear nice shoes and nice clothes to a ceremonial event. Instead of being teary-eyed, though, I'm just so very proud of her it makes me grin. I think she's realized that her jeans and t-shirt lifestyle is a safe place to be and that being safe all the time won't get her to where she wants to go. So she's trying something different, and it's very awesome. You go, Andrea! Mom won't cry. You're not going away. You're becoming (in more ways than one) and that makes me happy.

Misty, aka Mistah Fluff, our long-haired gray mackerel kitty, has leapt on my lap and declared "meh-eh." And now she's purring like crazy.

You said it Mistah. Meh eh!

2 comments:

C. Jane Reid said...

Way to go, Andrea! Taking those leaps into garbing ourselves in new ways is a great new step into imagining the different people we can be. Only in public, with our peers ready to pounce in with comments good and bad. I applaud her courage (though we never had any doubt of her courage, did we?)

Here I am just ecstatically happy when Kate walks up to a new kid on the block and introduces herself. "My name is Kate. I three." The joy of which is only narrowly followed by hearing her say "I hungry. I want a cheese stick" and then hearing the fridge open and realize I don't have to get up and get it for her. She's got it covered.

Note to self: do make sure the fridge is closed afterwards.

And YAY! for finishing projects! I'm feeling that bite myself. Might be that the first day of summer is around the corner and here I'm not ready to say goodbye to spring yet. Sigh. Guess no tomato plants for me this year. Maybe next I'll get a garden done. But what I wouldn't give to have all that friggin gravel out of the front yard! And the dead trees down. And the beds weeded. And the garden shed cleaned out . . .

Kami said...

Just so you know, if you really want tomatoes, it's not too late. You plant tomatoes in June, ideally. You can usually find huge plants that have had a great start at various stores for under $3.