Sunday, June 10, 2007

Outside

Sometimes a splurge-y purchase is something that adds nothing. The next day that pair of shoes might be entirely forgotten. The pizza will be eaten. You might desperately want to forget the movie, and pretend you didn't spend good money to go see that turd-come-to-life.

Other times, it transforms quality of life.

We brought home two large boxes, and Rory spent the afternoon putting the contents together with intermittant help from me. When he was finished, we had a gazebo centered on our deck with real outdoor deck furniture, cushions and all, on it. I've seen places with outdoor living spaces. I hadn't imagined we'd end up with one so soon, or that it would come together so quickly. And it fits, really fits the house. It's comfortable to sit there. I spent a good hour reading and felt as cozy as if I had been lounging in our living room, only with the incredible feeling of fresh air. And when it rains, it's nice out there, to be outside without getting drizzled on and yet I get to bask in that rain-scented atmosphere with the tattered clouds drifting silver among the deep green firs. I used to stand under the narrow eave with the rain drops dripping just past my nose and watch the thunderstorms. Now I can sit, or lean on the rail, and dream-watch.

The cats have given their stamp of approval and nap on the cushions in all kinds of weather. After it had been pouring last night, Claire, our allergic-losing-half-her-hair gray short-haired mackerel kitty, came in perfectly dry. She could wait out the weather inside without having to be let in.

Oh yeah, I think I forgot to mention, I love it. Did you catch that?

In garden news, the hollyhocks now have leaves as big as pumpkin leaves, and the buds keep getting bigger and bigger, the stalks taller and taller--how big do these things get again?

In goat news, we're ready to start stringing fence. We also need 15 more steel posts. Soon, soon my fuzzy darling goats will be unleashed on the unsuspecting blackberries.

Those blackberries are starting to come into bloom. When the weather warms again we'll have bees everywhere humming happily. I'm sure they're eagerly awaiting the blackberry bloom flush, as the poppies have pooped out. Oh, how those bees love the big, orange, oriental poppies. The bees swim inside them, drunk with the sheer quantity of pollen, purple pollen that turns the bees purple and makes it hard for them to fly.

Talk of blackberries makes me think of August, when the berries are ripe, and the August Babies Birthday Bash, and sleeping on the deck. Mmmm.

It's all coming back to me, the things I missed during winter, those things outside. I love being outside. Tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny, so hopefully I'll be there. Outside. Oh yes, even if it rains, I think I'll still be there, outside.

1 comment:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Bulbous bouffant...
Macadamia...

GAZEBO???!?