Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Pass the Epsom Salt, please

I've been working like a maniac in the garden again (I guess there's a case to be made for writing 'still' rather than 'again'.) Today I put in about ten hours solid. It's looking up out there, but man, there's still so much to do and I can't keep this pace up. So now it's damage control, sort of. There's really no damage when I give up on stuff--just weeds move in and I don't get all the seeds planted that I want to.

Most seeds, with a few exceptions, can hang out for a year or three and get planted during a different year. The germination rate drops to be sure, and you have to store them carefully (cool-ish temps, dry, dark) but otherwise they're a low-maintenance carry over to the next year. Less seed to buy next year, I guess, but I'm a bit disappointed with myself. I mean, come on, if I'd kept up my mental schedule of getting at least one type of seed in the ground every dry, workable soil day once the growing season kicked in I'd be golden right now.

Man, I really want to get corn in this year. Corn doesn't keep very well.

Kami scowls at the computer, trying to think of a reasonable way to get corn in this year.

Kami thinks about a tractor.

Kami's scowl at the computer deepens as she considers the expense of renting a tractor.

Kami thinks about fresh corn grown in her own garden, pesticide free, sweet, and those tall, handsome stalks whispering in the wind.

Kami thinks more about a tractor.

Kami looks at her wallet.

Hey, hand digging isn't that bad, is it?

Ugh. Pass the epsom salt, please. I need to take a hot bath and not think about corn. Ugh! No corn, no corn, no corn--corn corn corn corn corn corn Corn!

I guess we'll have to rent a tractor. Or get the roto-tiller started. Shake shake shake, shake the corn field!

2 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Naaaaah. Just spread the word that you're going to have a period agriculture event for the SCA and hand everyone that shows up wooden plows (i.e. slightly pointed sticks). Maybe you can even get a Norwegian stickball event going on the side for even better recruiting effectiveness. (Pantar? Wanna try something new?)

nellta holdings said...

And then there's the R & M - last month's repair bill for the tractor was $1200.
But the agriculture event sounds like a good plan (digging competitions!).

Glad to have found you again.