Monday, December 24, 2007

Cheer

This is the first morning in a long time that I've woken up depressed.  Bad things happen in life pretty often and most days I can flow with that, not take it personally, feel it without being crushed.  I'm not sure what made this morning different.  
We got a call a few days ago that my brother-in-law has cancer.  Test results come back today.  Doug is one of my favorite people, and he makes my sister (in law, full in heart) Kristi so happy.  Please think good thoughts for both of them.
When I first woke up I heard someone nibbling in the dog bowl and for whatever reason I assumed it was Mojo.  I about bolted out of bed, worried that Dakota would take exception and snap at him, but then I remembered.
"Free Falling" came on the radio this morning.  They played that song at Andy's funeral.  I guess it hit me especially hard because we usually see him at Christmastime.  Not long ago we got him a copy of The Richest Man in Babylon.  I don't know where I'm going with this--it's just in my head.

Now that you're all sad for me, I'll be a bad person and wish you all a Merry Christmas.  I hope you had a wonderful Yule.  The longest night of the year has passed.  It only gets lighter and warmer from here.

3 comments:

Kai Jones said...

Awww. *hugs* It's okay to be sad.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Lighter and warmer and drier. Late winter in this part of Japan is skin-peelingly dry with the odd duststorm blown over from the Mongolian steppes.

You're definitely in a valley, my friend. But I've found that valleys tend to kick-start the muse, so make the best of that one potentially bright spot.

Hopefully your holiday season will find a chance to be warm and bright.

Kami said...

It's gotten better. We got relatively good news about Doug, and although he has a lot more tests we're hopeful that we'll continue to get good news. Even if everything turns out as well as it possibly could, this isn't going to be easy, but I guess it could have been harder.

Thank you for your well wishes.