Saturday, December 01, 2007

Nano Win and Website Building


I crossed the Nanowrimo finish line a day early, and proceeded to get myself entangled (after a long, late shift at work) in website building for the very first time.  But before I get into that:



I have to celebrate!  WEEEEEEEE!  I won I won I won I won I won!






There.  That's quite enough for the likes of me.

I started setting up Rory's new website at www.chirontraining.com first because he's got a book coming out and also because the sooner I set it up, the sooner he can start putting in more than just the placeholders I cut and pasted and wrote in.  Looking at it this morning, there are some things that don't make any sense.  I blame the late hour.  I called it quits about 1:30am today.  Normally I wouldn't have worried about having placeholders, but being a complete novice at this, I didn't want to leave blank spaces that we might not later catch or see.

That fear turned out to be unwarranted, as one thing that I left blank was still available to edit.  Doh!

I'm definitely annoyed at my own incompetence.  I have some neat stuff available to play with on Microsoft (evil!hiss!) Office, which is a format I'm comfortable manipulating, but I don't know how to do an ftp download to get stuff from Office onto the web.  So I'm using their pre-existing pages, and found some really nice ones, but I don't know how to add or subtract segments yet.  Add onto this that apparently the poopyhead interface is screwed up for Macs  and you have the sense of frustration that began to build yesterday.  Text editing fields turn black, and since the font is black I can't see what I'm typing and I don't see a way to change the text color while I'm typing.  Gah!  This seems like a basic problem that should not exist on the interface because I'm sure I'm not the only Mac user out there.  And I was unable to successfully download any pics from Jasmine onto the web for whatever weird, poopyhead reason.  I can do it here on Jestablog, but apparently not with iPower at this time.

It's a learning experience, and not a horrible one.  Even when I'm at my most annoyed, I'm still having fun.  It's all shiney and new goodness.

It's especially fun to look forward.  Coming to a web near you: kzmiller.com

4 comments:

Kai Jones said...

So, um, do you want editing? Because I've spotted a typo.

The Moody Minstrel said...

1. Congratulations! Well done!

2. Well, you know what they say: "If you're always right you never learn."

(Well, I say it, anyway...)

Kami said...

Sure! Hand me typos! At the moment I can't change anything on either website because of some problem with the site editor, which I'm on hold now trying to get someone to fix. But data points are good, and the typo won't go away on its own.

True re: if you're always right, you'll never learn. And if you're always left, you're never conservative?

Anonymous said...

If you're always red you're never green.

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEN???!?