Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lace and Blade

Lace and Blade, edited by Deborah Ross

Overall:  Highly Recommended

There are some fine reviews on the web about this book so I won't go into too much detail.  Some of fantasy's finest authors are featured in this invitation only anthology that appropriately was released on Valentine's Day, 2008.  The stories vary from exotic to the best satisfying formula romance, from bizarre to wonderfully familiar, from sensual to stark.  There was only one story that I didn't connect with.  That a very high percentage of stories that worked for me, unheard of compared to the other anthologies I've read over the years.  Now, romance and subtle magic and swashbuckling is the norm here, so if you're looking for something edgy or quirky or a challenging read this probably isn't going to be your goblet of wine.  But for those of us who love sailing ships and Don Juan and heroes in disguise and slapped faces, for those of us who want to see pride fall (but not too far) and the woman get her man (or thing) and the hero to win the day, this is the book to read.  The unique, experienced voices of the authors sing and their creativity draw our expectations into new realms in this fabulous collection.  Available online.  I'll be sure to order Lace and Blade II.

Quality: High
My quality ratings:  Struggling, Emerging, Average, High, Very High

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the review. I'll have to check it out (probably at the library *grin*).
ttfn pg

Kami said...

You may have to request your library to carry it. Failing that, I'll loan you my copy!