Friday, September 12, 2008

Cut to black

Chatted on the phone today (actually, talked my poor friend's ear off!) and discussed, among many other things, writing (of course) and art.

It always amazes me how useful it is to compare painting and writing.  Everything from contrast to negative space can be applied in a teaching way to writing.  Knowing this, I shouldn't have really been surprised when I described a technique for preserving the best parts of a painting and painting the rest black and C.S. came back with how someone could do that in writing.  But instead of painting in black around the preserved areas, a writer could link the best portions of a story with fresh writing.

I have to try this.  I have just the story I want to do this with, too. 

1 comment:

The Moody Minstrel said...

I see a read story
And I want to paint it black.
No colors anymore,
I want them to turn black.

(with apologies to Mick and Keith...)